Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that.."

There is a new FREE! online service called Jott. With upbeat promises like "Never forget anything again!" and "Get more done every day!" and the endorsement of my boss (who is always finding the latest techie time savers) I signed up. With Jott, you simply call the Jott number programmed into your phone and wait for a friendly female voice to say "Who do you want to Jott?". You then say "me" or the name of any number of people you have set up online to receive your Jotts. The line then beeps and you leave a message of up to 30 seconds long. Jott then sends your message as an email or text message (you choose) to the destination you have programmed. There is also a feature for sending messages to individual folders, thus maximizing the efficiency.


Cool! If there was ever something an over 40 brain could use it's something to help it remember things. Like when you're driving to the store and go, "I forgot to call Jethro back today!" or "Remember to buy sticky notes!". When you get to work the next day, your email reminder is there waiting. You can leave other people Jotts, a feature my boss is already using for those times he remembers something as he's driving away that he meant to ask me to do. Very handy! I have just one problem. Jott and, as I've recently discovered, other electronic voice readers, don't always understand me. When the voice says "Who do you want to Jott?" I often have to say "me" several times, each time with a slightly higher, more nasally pitch. "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that?" says the voice. "If you need help, say 'help'," she helpfully suggests. "Of course I need help I think. That's why I'm using this darn service! Rats! Now I don't even remember what I needed to remember!


I had the same experience trying to retrieve our errant oversized luggage after our ski trip. Due to a flight delay in Denver, we jumped on an earlier flight, assured our bags would make it (yes, we are gullible). Four did, but our skis and snowboard had to be sent later to a nearby airport. There were some major storms and they were delayed several days. In the meantime, I had to keep calling the airline to check on their whereabouts, so we could pick them up when they arrived. The friendly female voice and I communicated beautifully through airport destinations and arrival dates. After locating the correct files, she asked for my last name.

"Mallard", I said slowly and clearly.
"I believe you said 'N-a-v-o-r-y'," said the voice. "Is this correct?"
"No"
"My apologies, please say your name again."
"Mallard", I said, trying to speak crisply, without a hint of my still somewhat evident Hoosier accent.
"I believe you said 'Z-a-m-o-r-o-f-f'," said the voice. "Is this correct?"
"No!" I said forcefully. "I can't believe this thing!" I said to my husband sitting nearby.
"I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that." said the voice calmly.
"I wasn't talking to you! I'd like to speak to an agent."
"I'll transfer you to an agent, but first I need some more information. What is your last name?"
"Arrgh!!"
"Transferring you to an agent."

This happened every time I called to varying degrees. Eventually we spoke to an actual person and then drove to the airport and got all of our stray luggage.


For the most part, my Jotts have come through clearly and I'm finding it is a useful tool. But there was the one that I sent to a friend encouraging them after they had had some difficult but neccessary interactions with people. I told them they did a good job speaking truth into their lives. But I'm not sure what I meant by "Be Skate. Live this week." Seems like good advice though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this story!! I also hate trying to speak to machines!