Sunday, March 16, 2008

Acceptance is a Bathingsuit Thing


"But part of being over 40 is accepting the fact that certain doors are closing--and growing up enough to notice that other doors are open." (Kelly Corrigan, 40, author of "The Middle Place" in an interview in More magazine)

I went bathing suit shopping this weekend. This was not as completely torturous as a friend pointed out it usually is due to two things. One, I'm buying it in anticipation of a week long trip to Cancun with my husband coming up in mere weeks, and secondly, I have lost over 15 pounds since the last time I bought one. But, alas, as I told my shopping buddy, even at a smaller size there are still difficulties. No matter what the size on the tag, they each fit differently, and as you wrestle one after another over your head or up your hips, the large store security tag pokes you under the armpit and you end up doing this weird hopping dance to get your feet through the holes! There also seems to be no rhyme or reason to the size match ups for tops and bottoms, neccesitating several trips back out to the racks for a "slightly larger or smaller" bottom to go with the "just a little bigger or smaller" top. And as you know, this means re-dressing and undressing yet again. The whole thing is just exhausting! I needed a nap when I got home, and hubby was only mildly enthused about my selection. "Why didn't you get a bikini?", he asked totally straight faced.

He doesn't get that I am willing to accept that certain doors--bikinis being one--are closed to me. But I am growing up enough to know that others doors are open. And that's why I bought the new jeans. On clearance. 2 sizes smaller than last year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I sit here reading this I can't help but chuckle to myself remembering the trips you made in and out of the dressing room. I can't believe he asked you why you didn't get a bikini - you should have told him 'it's my flesh that's being exposed and the amount I'm willing to expose in the suit I picked out is more than I really want to expose as it is!

lilacpuppy said...

BIKINI! DOOOOO IT!

:) And just so you know, bathing suit shopping is just as exhausting as a size 2 (with extra small boobs and medium-ish butt)!