Saturday, March 15, 2008

Six Word Memoirs

Gore Vidal, defines a memoir as "how one remembers one's own life, while an autobiography is history, requiring research, dates, facts double-checked." As Wikipedia goes on to state, "It is more about what can be gleaned from a section of one's life than about the outcome of the life as a whole."
About a year ago, the online "storytelling community" called Smith magazine, challenged their readers to write their life story in only six words. After receiving more than 15,000 entries, they put 832 into a new book called "Not Quite What I Was Planning. " After reading many of the entries, you just can't help trying to come up with your own. I came up with a few:

"Fully loved, able to love unconditionally."

"Country girl embraced city, then lake."

"Drama Queen meets Prince of Peace."

"True love found early lasts long."

My husband could borrow one from the book: "Would settle for a bad hair day."

I don't think anyone's life can really be summed up in six words, but like a snapshot, a six word memoir captures a part of your life, that though not fleshed out, can be revealing.

I also had a lot of fun writing six words for Biblical figures:

Paul: "I have fought the good fight."

Moses: "Knew the Lord face to face."

Solomon: "Gift of wisdom brought no peace."

Saul: "Impressive young man without equal, rejected."

Jezebel: "Killed the prophets, devoured by dogs."

Peter: "If all fall away, I won't."

Jacob: "Wrestled God and birthed a nation."

This was a good exercise and could even be a good tool for remembering biblical characters. So, admit it...you're doing one in your head as you read this, aren't you? Share yours!

6 comments:

lilacpuppy said...

College graduate, will work for food.

Anonymous said...

College freshman, too tired to think.

Anonymous said...

Middle aged man, Carribean retirement dreams.

etoc said...

Jesus: I'll come back, you be ready.

etoc said...

And for me so far in life:

Privileged, Love-struck, Educated, Shattered, Useful

Anonymous said...

My six after doing the 30 hour famine:
"Serve is a verb; use me."