Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The "After Bucket List"

This morning I was thinking about the movie “The Bucket List”. I didn’t see the movie, but I know from the previews that a bucket list is a record of all the things you want to be sure to do before you kick the bucket. This is a cool idea, and I want to start working on mine, right after I finish reading “1,000 Places to See Before You Die”. I should probably hold off on “1,000 Ways to Decorate with Fabric” and first get a copy of “100 Ways to Motivate Yourself”. But I digress. What I was thinking about the bucket list concept is that we as Christians sometimes have an “After Bucket List". We make a list, in our heads anyway, of all the things we want to do when we get to heaven. Now, I get that our questions and desires will be surpassed by everything that we will experience with/in/through God that we can’t even begin to imagine. Even so, I don’t think God would have given us some of the biblical descriptions of heaven He does if He didn’t want us to longingly use our imagination.

Some things on my list:

  • Fly

  • Go to other places in the universe

  • See my grandparents, relatives, and friends who have already died

  • Talk to biblical saints. High on the list:
    Deborah, Priscilla, Mary, Sarah, David, Daniel, Paul, Luke, John, Peter and the angels—Michael and Gabriel(note: I love the idea that I could talk to all of the above in perfect conversation for as long as we want…because the ‘not enough time’ factor just won’t be…a factor!)

  • Check out the "living creatures" (not trying to be sacrilegious here-I mean, come on, all those eyes?)

  • Ask the triune God- “Why”:
    The big stuff: flood, circumcision, covenant, temple
    The hard stuff: fully man/fully God, sacrifice, resurrection, suffering, pain…what were you doing during ________ in my life?

Do any of these sound like something you’ve said in your head? I bet you have an “After Bucket” list too. Please share!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to hopscotching on some golden sidewalks, meeting Moses, Jonah, Mary, and my grandfather. Seeing other parts of the universe sounds pretty awesome. There are so many awesome things to look forward to! No sunburns, food with no calories?

Stacy M said...

I don't know, andrea--a sunburn sounds pretty heavenly to me right now!