Sunday, May 4, 2008

Nap Vs. Coffee

Haven't we all been there before? At least if you are a coffee lover. I have an open Sunday afternoon with the freedom to nap off the lingering effects of a busy Sunday morning followed by a yummy Sunday dinner (that's what we called Sunday lunch growing up, and gosh darn it, why should I bow to the northern grammar police on everything!). I have good stuff to read though, online & off. Do I go for a cup of the brew, or catch a few zzz's to propel me back to semi-alertness?


According to a recent French study, (what is it with the French and their coffee studies? Don't they have other things to research? Like, how staying skinny while eating chocolate and drinking wine may be the reason we choose to portray them as rude?) "the older you are, the less efficient napping is at increasing your alertness". Two groups were tested-one ages 20-25, the other in their 40's. The test was to see if they could stay in their lane driving 80 miles an hour--first during the daytime, then again at 2:00 am. In the daytime, both groups did fine (80?these must have been Michigan drivers). At 2:00 am, and after a cup of decaf, neither group did well (who volunteers to ride along with these people?). After a nap, only the the younger group did well, while for the over 40 group only regular coffee helped keep them in line. Why? Researchers say that the 20 somethings got more restful deep sleep during their half hour of napping than the 40+ group.


So, if you are over forty, once again coffee again proves itself as vital to our cognitive processes. So go enjoy your afternoon cup! I'm going to make a pot myself--after I take my Sunday afternoon nap.

No comments: