Thursday, May 1, 2008

Getting Younger on the Inside

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" (seen on a magnet in O'Hare airport).

If you had to totally rely on your inner heart/mind/soul clock, how old would you be? Take out of the equation what the mirror tells you and what others might say. Just imagine. 22? 37? 64? We always tell our children to 'act their age'. If you really didn't know, would you act the same? Are you acting a certain way because it's how you believe you are supposed to act at your age?

Maybe a way to measure is to ask, do you look or act like your mother or father did at your age? This is a tough one, since it's always a challenge to know what they were truly like at that time. By the time she was my age, my mother had already lived with a difficult and painful disease for almost 20 years. She was affected and shaped by a weight that I have not had to bear-limited physically, but not in spirit. I have been physically active, purposely so through my adult life, and the strength and energy boost that comes with that has affected me physically and mentally.
Age really is an attitude thing though. Want to be younger at heart? Don't like the inner age you've settled for? Ask yourself:

Do I embrace change and look for the positive in it?
Do I still seek out new experiences or always choose the safe course?
Do I reach out to others and develop new friendships with people of all ages?
Do I believe in the God who is always making all things new and gives us chances to start over?

I take comfort in the fact that God renews us in our inner being. Sounds like the best makeover to me!

By the way, I guess I'd be 34. Except on some days when I'd swear I'm 23! And others when I'm at least 68! (Decisiveness is not one of my strong points--maybe it's a lack of maturity thing)

How about you?

No comments: